Instagram changed drastically this year! Between Reels, keyword searches, and the “temporary” deletion of the “Recent” section under the Tags tab, we’ve flourished through many changes. In the midst of all the changes, I branched out of my comfort zone to use add an additional social media platform for my Instagram growth strategy. Keep reading to learn about my secret weapon for Instagram growth in 2020 and how I’ll use the platform in 2021!
My secret weapon for Instagram growth in 2020 is Pinterest.
Why You Should Use Pinterest to Grow on Instagram
Pinterest was, and continues to be, the perfect platform to grow my planner brand’s Instagram account. Here’s why: my planner account is mostly “aesthetically pleasing” photos and graphics for my monthly content series. Photos (especially “aesthetic” photos) and graphics are a commonality between the two platforms.
Does your niche rely heavily on photos and creativity? You may benefit from using Pinterest to grow your Instagram as well! I’ll be honest with you: Pinterest takes a lot of time and energy to use correctly and strategically. But it’s worth it! I drive a traffic and users to my Instagram page. Keep reading to learn key points in my 2020 strategy and changes I’ll make to my strategy in 2021.
Using Pinterest in 2020
I love using Pinterest for personal reasons. I saw an opportunity to get out of my comfort zone and strategically use my love for Pinterest to grow my audience on Instagram. Here are a few key points about using my Pinterest account:
1) Business Account. I immediately set up a Pinterest business account for my planner brand. (I wanted to start fresh instead of using my personal account.) Plus, using a business account gives access to analytics. If you’re new to social media marketing, you’ll want access to your insights and analytics. Reviewing and analyzing the data will show you patterns and trends with your content and audience. When armed with this knowledge, you can make necessary changes to your marketing strategy!
2) Posting Schedule. My original goal was to post at least once a day. I’ll be honest with you: I did NOT stick with this schedule. Some days I posted 3 pins and other times I’d go two or three days without posting a single pin. But it helps that I post on my planner brand’s Instagram at least Monday through Friday. So, when I take photos for the Instagram account, I automatically have new content for my Pinterest account. Of course, I link all pins to my Instagram page to drive traffic there.
3) Review Analytics. The bread and butter of my Instagram strategy! Although I didn’t have a consistent posting schedule, I still had enough data to analyze click rates and impressions to determine what worked well with the Pinterest audience and what did not. This data also helped me hone and craft my Pinterest SEO strategy. By studying the data, I know what phrasing and keywords are popular and eye-catching for users.
Using Pinterest in 2021
Here’s what I’m planning to do differently or improve in 2021:
1) Consistency. I know I can do better with my posting schedule. I won’t commit to post all 7 days of the week. But I plan to post at least 6 days a week and more importantly, multiple times a day. This posting schedule will show users that I am active on the platform.
2) More Video Content. Video content reigns supreme on multiple social media platforms right now. I want to incorporate more video content on my Pinterest. (Fun fact: my video content showing my planner always performs well!) Do you make reels on Instagram or TikTok videos? Save them to your phone and upload them to Pinterest!
3) More Story Pins. I loved testing Story Pins! I requested the feature in September of this year. While I haven’t used story pins as much as I wanted to, I’m changing my Pinterest strategy to incorporate the feature.
Are you ready to add Pinterest to your social media strategy? Do you already have an account but it’s outdated? Download my free Pinterest review checklist here!
Want to read more? Check out these resources:
Be sure to follow along for the ride on Pinterest!